the Northern Japan Alps
Okuhida-Onsengo is surrounded by many famous and beautiful mountains: the Yari-Hotaka mountain range, Mt. Norikura, and Gifu Prefecture’s highest peak, Mt. Kasagatake. These mountains are commonly called the Northern Japan Alps and the region is also known as the Chubu Sangaku National Park. Filled with numerous species of alpine plants and animals, the Northern Japan Alps are abundant in natural treasures.
the Northern Japan Alps
The Northern Japan Alps, also known as the Chubu Sangaku National Park, have shaped Okuhida-Onsengo. The many mountains are open for climbers to enjoy in each of the seasons.
|Mt. Yarigatake elevation 3,180m||Mt. Okuhotakadake elevation 3,190m||Mt. Nishihotakadake elevation 2,909m|
|Mt.Kasagatake elevation 2,898m||Mt. Sugorokudake elevation 2,860m||Mt. Yakedake elevation 2,455m|
Standard fees for mountain guides
|Summer (June to early November)||Spring From April to May||Winter (Mid-November to March)|
|Daily fee||For individuals||30,000 yen||35,000 yen||40,000 yen|
|For groups||35,000 yen||—||—|
Mountain lodge guide
Each mountain has lodges for climbers. Before setting out on a climb, please check here for information on mountain lodges. (Information on mountain lodges in 2020)
|Nishiho Sanso||All year round||+81-263-36-7052 +81-80-6996-2455 (Direct)||1-11-25, Chuo, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-0811, Japan||250 people|
|Hotakadake Sanso||27th April to 3rd November||+81-578-82-2150 +81-90-7869-0045 (Direct)||504, Kamiokacho Higashimachi, Hida-shi, Gifu, 506-1111, Japan||250 people|
|Yarigatake Sanso||27th April to 3nd November||+81-263-35-7200 +81-90-2641-1911 (Direct)||1-7-2, Uzuhashi, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-0813, Japan||400 people|
|Minamidake Goya||1st July to 13th October||+81-263-35-7200 +81-90-4524-9448 (Direct)||80 people|
|Sugoroku Goya||10th June to 20th October||Sugoroku Goya +81-90-3480-0434 (Direct) Kagamidaira Sanso +81-90-1566-7559 (Direct) Sugoroku Goya Office +81-577-34-6268||Shimokamotomachi, Takayama-shi, Gifu, 506-0052, Japan Sugoroku Goya Office||200 people|
|Kagamidaira Sanso||1st July to 15th October||120 people|
|Wasabidaira Goya||10th July to 20th October||60 people|
|Kurobegoro Goya||10th July to 30th September||60 people|
|Yaridaira Goya||1st July to 8th October||+81-578-89-2523 +81-90-8863-3021(Direct)||90, Okuhidaonsengo Kansaka, Takayama-shi, Gifu, 506-1421, Japan||80 people|
|Kasagatake Sanso||25th June to 15th October||+81-578-89-2404 +81-90-7020-5666 (Direct)||Okuhidaonsengo Tochio, Takayama-shi, Gifu, 506-1423, Japan||100 people|
|Kitahotaka Goya||29th April to 3rd November||+81-263-46-0407 (Winter) +81-90-1422-8886 (Direct)||3-25-8, Asamaonsen, Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-0303, Japan||60 people|
|Yakedake Goya||16th June to 24th November||+81-90-9358-7364 (Winter) +81-90-2753-2560 (Direct / Satellite phone)||1061-1, Azumi , Matsumoto-shi, Nagano, 390-1502, Japan Matsumoto City Office||25 people|
* The medical facilities of the following lodges are open only in the summer time: Nishiho Sanso, Hotakadake Sanso, Yarigatake Sanso, Sugoroku Goya.
Web sites with mountain-related information
- Japan Alpine Lodge Association
- Almost all of the lodges in the Northern Japan Alps are affiliated with the association. The site contains various useful information.
- Gifu Pref. Northern Alps Mountaineering Accident Measures Conference
- This site describes conditions and information on the Gifu side of the Northern Japan Alps.
- Please submit, without fail, the mountain climbing notification form.(on the Gifu Prefecture side). See here for instructions on how to lodge an application, including on-line application. → Gifu Prefecture Disaster Prevention Division, Department of Crisis Management